Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Back Tattoo Conundrum

Let me first preface this post with a disclaimer, I am not a fan of the back tattoo. In general I'm not a fan of tattoos (visible ones at least) on girls. However an experience recently shook the foundation of my previous conceptions on the subject.

Usually I'm not one to go out to the bars on a Monday night, but a friend had a guest from out of town so I made an exception. We had a crew of 4 and headed to a local restaurant for some grub before heading downtown. Over food and 2 Mexican martinis each we came upon the discussion of the back tattoo. A friend at the table had received a text message from a girl who he was planning on going out with the following week, the text consisted of a picture of her back with a fresh (red) tattoo on it along with the caption "Ouch" at the end. The tattoo was of a giant shell, similar to the "Conch" in Lord of the Flies. It expanded from the middle of each shoulder blade in width and probably 6-8 inches in height. This immediately resulted in endless jokes and a consensus among the group that this should be a "one and done" date. After finishing cocktails we headed downtown to see what Monday night held in store.

After bar hopping for an hour or so we came upon a "Cowboy Bar", not uncommon in Texas, but this one included a mechanical bull (much to the delight of the non-local of the group). After having a few cocktails and admittedly being slightly intoxicated for a Monday night, I noticed a girl come in wearing a strapless white "bustier" and jeans. She was about 5'2" and blond, very attractive, and I was immediately (obviously) locked-in. Jokingly I turned to a member of my group who was busy "winging" the other 2 members of the group and said, "I'm gonna hook up with that chick". This was my intoxicated method of drawing his attention to the new patron of the bar. After a few laughs and some additional time spent drinking, I noticed the blond subject of my attraction had made her way to my side of the bar, in tow she had a douchey dude with her (see December 30th's post), I couldn't resist and exchanged a few pleasantries with her. Seeing that the douche had staked his claim I didn't over-pursue, after a minute or two she turned to the bar at which point I noticed.....you guessed it....a back tattoo. Now I'm going to pause and refrain from telling you what the tattoo was to ask a question. Given the fact that you were attracted to her before seeing the tattoo does it's existence change the way you think of this girl at the bar? Does it imply she's a "freak" or does it lower her attractiveness?

Now comes the quandary....the tattoo sported by this young vixen (with no other tattoos visible) was simple/clean black cursive, with letters about an inch and a half in height, and the writing said "I Walk The Line". This threw me for a loop, I was not expecting a Johnny Cash shout-out on this blond's back. Does the fact that it was Cash make her more attractive? Would it have been better if it was a less "popular" song by Cash? Or does the simple fact remain that it is a back tattoo and the content doesn't affect her attractiveness?

I'm interested to hear any back tattoo experiences or thoughts on the subject. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely rather this girl "walk the line" than discover she has a" ring of fire". Tattoos are played out, but I like the Cash tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it means something and it's not just a random drawing out of the book of the tattoo "artist"... a step up from the norm, but not a large one!
    Side note - my sisters always joke that they want to get trampoline tattooed on the base of their backs... a literal "tramp" stamp

    ReplyDelete