Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What Is It With Coffee Shops?

I just don't get it.  Walking into a coffee shop (we all know which one I'm talking about, but I don't know the rules about referring to specific people/places on the internet) to get my girlfriend a coffee was hilarious the other day.  It was a Saturday morning in Boulder, a beautiful day to go on a hike or watch football.  But no, to other people it was a perfect day to go "be seen" at said coffee shop. 

I mean, really?  What do you actually get done at the coffee shop that you can't get done at the library or YOUR HOME.  Do you really have that little self control that you can't get work done at home?  We all know you're not really working on a Saturday morning anyway, unless updating your facebook or twitter is considered work.  When we go anywhere other than home or the office, and infer that we're "working," it's false.  All we end up doing is watching people, judging them, wondering what their story is, rating girls on a scale of 1 to 10, referring to them in code as if they were recruits for college football.  If you actually go to a coffee shop to get work done, and you ACTUALLY get work done, let us know your secret.  What is it really all about? 

1 comment:

  1. 1. Seth McFarlane portrayed it best. "Look at me! I'm writing my novel in public so everyone knows I'm a writer!" It's an ego thing. Hell, everything's an ego thing. But many times, this is about a secret sense of self-affirmation that no one ever admits to themselves or others. If nobody's looking at you like your hair's on fire, you must be doing something right. I still do it from time to time.

    2. I have actually gotten work done in a coffee shop...but not often. My little helper was thrown together mix of stress, music, stimulants.

    http://homestylefixins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete